Thursday, April 10, 2008

This I Believe, by Maria

Has anyone you love ever died from cancer? I believe that the human body is a gift. When people are hurting themselves through actions that they chose to do, I question why they would do something that they know can harm them. My grandma died from cancer because she had been smoking since she was really young, maybe fifteen or sixteen.

About a year and a half ago my grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer. Within a few months of diagnoses, her body was completely taken over by cancer.

I hadn’t seen my grandma for at least two years and I didn’t think her cancer was as bad as it was. I had a lot of friends who smoked and my brother smoked so I was around it almost all of the time. I figured my grandma looked like them except with no hair since she was on chemotherapy. When I went to visit her, I barely recognized her. She looked terrible. She only weighed about 74 pounds. We could see her bones sticking out and it looked like her skin was hanging off of them. She was so weak that she couldn’t stand up without help and she barely ate anything. She couldn’t talk very well because it took to much energy out of her. I will never forget how she looked and how she sounded that day.

Five days after we left her house, my grandma, Shirley Ann Schmid, passed away. She had cancer for over a year and a half and even though her body was being eaten away with cancer, she was still smoking three to four packs of cigarettes a day.

It’s really hard to see people I love hurting themselves by doing something that could hurt them and possibly cause them to get cancer. I think smoking causes more harm to the human body than most people realize. After seeing how smoking affected my grandma and everyone who loved her, I truly believe that the human body is a gift. We should take care of it as best as we can and not do anything that we know can cause harm to us.

No comments: