Friday, March 14, 2008

This I Believe, by Alix

This I Believe
(based upon NPR's "This I Believe" series)

Have you ever sat and really thought about the world? Have you ever wondered what it has come to be and what it will be in the future? In the world today, so many people take little things and turn them into huge ordeals. Why waste so much time on the things that shouldn't matter when you could be cherishing the things that should matter. This is why I believe in a bigger picture.

As human beings living on Earth, we all know that wars break out, people kill each other for almost pointless reasons, and people complain about how their lives are terrible or how this world is coming to nothing. We go to war over other people's past and fight each other's battles, while we could be reminiscing on the things that are actually right in our lives. Not only should we do that, but we should look at the world in a completely different perspective.

Often, I look around and see how many people do not care about what is happening around them. The truth is that I used to be one of those people who didn’t care very much. One day I realized that I should have paid more attention to what depends on the way I live. I now know that I should keep in touch with the world I live with, not caring about the little things in life that don't matter, such as arguments with teachers and pointless fights with the girls at school with whom I might not get along well with. Everyone should live with the knowledge of politics. This way they can look at the bigger picture of the world, rather than the latest gossip going around school. The problem is that people don’t care about the world around them enough to watch the news or read the Sunday paper.

Someone very important in my life once talked to me about, not his struggles, but the people around him who live less fortunate lives. He asked me how I would feel if I were in another person's position; what would I do if I were mentally disabled? What if I were a starving child in a third world country? What if I had no family to be by my side and to support me? Life would be so different. I thought about it for a while and realized how many things I would be missing out on; I didn't even know how good I had it until his questions brought this to my attention. I have been separated from my sisters and father most of my life, and I have never stayed in one place for more than three years, but that matters less than the things I am able to do now. The opportunities I have in my future suddenly became so cherished to me. I became more grateful for the family I have and the friends who care for me.

So tomorrow morning when I wake up for another day at school, I won’t groan about how I don't want to learn today. I will simply tell myself I’m doing it for the bigger picture. I’m working hard to make my dreams come true and to become whoever I want to be. I glad that I am able to do so. Don't let other people distract you from being yourself and doing what you want to do. Problems in the world that we go through can be tough and even heartbreaking, but remember that there is always a way to pull through; just think positive. I now look at the world with my glass half full, trying to make the most of everything that comes my way. I know I can still be pessimistic at given times, but I am working on it everyday. I want to be someone who lives life to the fullest; I want to do my best and achieve as many of my goals as possible. Everyone should take a moment to relax and think about their place in the world and take a good look at their own bigger picture.

No comments: