Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hurricane Katrina, by Whitney

Hurricane Katrina: a Tragedy
(based upon a poem by Anne Bradstreet, inspired by Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke)

At two in the morning while I was asleep,

Shortly there would be nothing to keep,

I woke to storms with wind and rain,

Which I could not comprehend in my brain.

That loud noise like bombs exploding,

And the sight of shores eroding,

I opened up the door to see,

And wondered why God sent tragedy.

To what I had known as my home,

When suddenly I realized I was not alone.

When in my house flood waters did seep,

I watched in horror as they got deep,

And when I saw they were not stopping,

I prayed that help would come a knocking.

As possessions went floating by,

I had to look up and ask “Why?”

Although it was Hurricane season,

In my mind I could not reason.

For I know God owns it all,

But as for me I could only ball,

For everything I thought was mine,

Was ruined within just a few moments of time.

As thoughts and possessions continued to drift,

My spirits sure needed a lift.

No more walls, no more floors,

No more windows, no more doors.

Everything was floating in the streets,

I looked on in disbelief.

Where my pictures once hung on the wall,

The rising waters took them all.

No more memories here to make,

But the old one’s you can’t take.

Hopes and dreams are shattered now,

But God will bring us forth somehow.

Possessions gone, but life remains,

We’re all players in the game.

The game of life,

Love, faith, toil, and strife.

For we don’t know what tomorrow holds,

But we must push to achieve our goals.

Look to the future, not the past,

Knowing all the while you may come in last.

Take tragedy as an opportunity,

To unite with your community.

No more stuff to tie you down,

All you need is your family around,

For life with no one is in vain,

If all your focus is on things.

Look above for what matters most,

And not about possessions boast.

Live well, laugh often, love much,

So your life will reflect such,

Keep the faith for He is just,

And He loves us all so very much.

No comments: