Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Upon the Flooding of My House, Chloe

Upon the Flooding of My House

(based upon an Anne Bradstreet poem; inspired by Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke)

In the break of day when I took rest
There was a pounding of my chest
I listened to the thundering noise
As the leeves broke with dreadful poise
With the frightful sounds of “Water!” and “Water!”
Please let no man know of slaughter
I stared up to the light of sky
Where my heart to God did cry
With hope of strength in my distress
That FEMA has left me in horrible mess
I finally break free of my space
And stare as tides engulf my place
When my house did shake and fall to ground
I blessed His name and gave a sound
My treasure now float in mold
As I watch them turn to old
‘Twas not mine but His own
For that he wish is unknown
The ruins were there no longer kept
And there sufficient last I left
And when the ruins I did past
A sadness sorrow in my eye did last
Here and there people did die
Awaiting permanent a place to lie
Here stood that chair, and there that chest
There lay that store I loved best
My many things in mold lie
And them have no more shall I
Now in my house I shall not sit
Not at my table to eat a bit
No more stories by thy fireplace
Nor things retold of time and space
No more lights shall shine in thee
Nor shall there be a child born in thee
In silence, FEMA thou lie
A tragedy for you and I

No comments: