Friday, March 14, 2008

This I Believe, by Bianca

This I Believe
(based upon NPR's "This I Believe" series)

So many people are against gay people and I wonder, why? They are just like you: but, they just love the same gender. I believe very strongly in gay and lesbian marriages. I believe people should be able to love who they want to love, not who the world wants them to love. So many people are killed every year because of their sexuality and the fact that they don’t live the way others live.

Sometimes I don’t understand why the law makes it a big problem for people to marry who they want to. I’m angry because we have a book of constitutional amendments that states that we have the right of freedom to do basically whatever we want. But yet we can’t marry who we want. It makes me so angry when I hear people talk about how much they hate the gay community. The gay community hasn’t done anything wrong to them, only to be themselves.

I believe in gay and lesbian marriages because I am bisexual myself, which means that I very strongly support the gay community. I also support this belief because I have a lot of gay friends. I notice that in the South, people aren’t as open about the gay community as they are in the Northern cities. Even if I wasn’t gay, I still wouldn’t have a problem with the gay community. There’s nothing wrong with being gay. All it means is that you like the same gender: you’re still the same on the inside.

There’s this show that I watch called “The L Word,” which is about the lives of women who are lesbians. It shows how much love they have for one another regardless of the fact that they are the same gender. Gay couples have the same issues as couples of the opposite sex. The series is a very good example of what goes on in gay/lesbian relationships, their lives and the issuse that they have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. This show reminds me why I believe people should be able to love who they want to love, not who the world wants them to love.

No comments: