Thursday, March 13, 2008

This I Believe, by Caty

This I Believe

I believe the simple life is possible. The modern world that we live in is too technological. I want to go back to the days when family dinners were had every night and televisions were in black and white. Those were the simple days and I would like to believe in them.

The new inventions are taking time away from quality family time. Personally I go out to dinner for my birthday, but that only comes once a year. TeVo has led to the demise of family time. My family spends massive amounts of television. I should probably work on eliminating a few more hours of shows. If we were to meet in the middle with them watching less, we could probably work out dinner a couple nights a week. I talk to my parents, that isn’t the problem, but I would like to have more family dinners. I believe that it would keep more families together and more kids out of trouble. We may not sit around a table every night but, my parents are super involved. The way my parents keep an eye on me has really paved the way for my future. It’s shining bright because of them. Seeing your child on a day-to-day basis helps keep an eye on them without prying into their lives. If such a problem arose, parents would see a quick change, rather than maybe catching a change over a gradual period of time. If some parents cannot handle keeping an eye on their kids, I just cannot understand why they would have them.

Cell phones are the plan makers of America. I can understand needing to keep track of your kids, but now some parents would rather buy a cell phone for themselves than feed their own children. I’m positive that my parents bought me a cell phone to know where I’m going and who I’m with, not to jabber with every person on earth. Cell phones are the gateway drugs that lead into automobiles being the serious problem.

In the old days, kids would have to walk or bike to their friends houses. I believe more kids would opt to stay home. I know that if I had to walk anywhere today, I definitely would stay. Cars used to be such a luxury. Having a family car meant you were truly blessed. Now it is rare to see a sixteen year old without one. I do have a car that my parents bought me but I like to think that I earn it and do not abuse the privilege of having one. I think if we went back to the days before the new inventions; most families would be a whole, teenagers would not have such wild behavior, and the youth of America would have a more promising outlook.

The days before the internet entertainment and high technological communication industries didn’t exist are the days we need to return to. With more and more progress makes for more and more problems. Maybe if we slowed down a bit, we could better handle the problems that hit us in the face everyday. I believe that we should slow down and lead the simple life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely and totally agree with your belief. I think that this place is way to technological. Its crazy, just about every single person in this country owns a cell phone, or something like it. I would love to be able to spend more time with my family, rather then just calling them on the phone and talking to them. I mean yeah its a good tool to be able to keep up with your child and all but I mean if we had family dinners every night and we could engage in each other's lives, and know whats going on, we wouldn't need cell phones. The kids could just call the parents whenever they got to where they were going. I think if we would spend more time with our families the crime rate would go way down. If we could focus on what our parents are trying to teach us, and listen to their great advice, this world would be a way better place! Good job, Caty!
<3 Tracy Yarbrough