Thursday, March 13, 2008

This I Believe, by Carter

This I Believe
(based upon NPR's "This I Believe" series)

Has a parent or guardian ever told you a quote or a saying by which they want you to live? Well, my father told me a saying that I try to live by everyday. I believe in always doing the right thing.

My name is Carter Holleman. I am seventeen years old and a junior at Orange High School. Throughout my seventeen years of life, my father has always told me for as long as I can remember, “Always do the right thing and life will be much easier.” Although this rule seems easy, it is not.

I have many stories I could tell about this saying that my father preaches to me, but one sticks out in my head. It was freshmen year of high school, and I had to write a paper on how I thought dogs became man’s best friends. I mostly worked on this project at school but was suppose to work on it at home. Not wanting to do anything at home, I wrote the paper in the library in about twenty minutes. A week passed and the project was due on Monday, and it had to be typed. So being the teenager that I was, I waited until Sunday to type my paper. Whenever I type a paper my parents always check it. You can guess my father’s reaction to the paper. He got really frustrated and very angry with me. He took me to my room and ripped the paper in two and asked “Why did you procrastinate?” I told him the typical teenage answer, “I don’t know.” Needless to say he argued with me some more, then said,” I always tell you do the right thing the first time then life will be much easier. Rewrite the paper and do it right.” I obeyed my fathers instructions and did the paper right.

I ended up making an A on my project and showed my grade to my father. He said,” See what doing the right thing does? Trust me Cater, do it right the first time and life is simple.”

Now in my junior year at high school, I still live by the saying my father told me. I have messed up a little bit, but I always bounce back. Life does seem simpler following this rule. “In the future” I will pass my fathers wisdom on to my children. I believe in doing the right thing the first time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your farther reminds me so much of my mom. my mom tells me the samethng everytime she gets, as I look back on the thing I have done I see I should of listen. But now it the future and im trying to stick with it today, but by being a student, parent, and friend thing can challenge you. So I can relate to your story.

RUBY ROBERSON
3/31/08
4TH PD